[PVE-User] ?==?utf-8?q? VM Backup best practices recommendation...

Ulrich Huber ulrich.huber at heureka.co.at
Wed Feb 17 11:27:33 CET 2016

Am Mittwoch, Februar 17, 2016 11:00 CET, Gilberto Nunes <gilberto.nunes32 at gmail.com> schrieb:

Hello list

I have a VM KVM with Linux Ubuntu 14.04 running in PVE 4.1.

Everything is fine.

This VM is our Zimbra Mail Server in which we have about 1 000 accounts.

The amount of disk space is about 1,4 TB.

As can you see, with a bug partition like this, it's very difficult to make and mantain backups...

And, to worst eerything, vzdump backup tooks so long to make a backup...

What recommendation can you,guys, point to me to mitigate such situation?

I will grateful for any advice

 [Ulrich Huber] Bacula was already mentioned – but which filesystem are you using at the PVE-Host and within the guest?  Some Filesystems allow shadow copy, so there is no need to suspend the host….

[Ulrich Huber] Another idea is rsnapshot – I do use this for staggered Backups. Usually, I use an iscsi-share, mount this share, make the snapshot, unmount and make another copy of the unmounted share on tape.

Or you try with lvm and lvm-shanpshots….

You can combine the idea of creating an md-Raid with iscsi (using the iscsi as mirror-disk, break the mirror, copy the second disk to backup, reestablish the mirror and start a remirroring… (but I have no idea about performance, I never tried this – just a theoretical approach…)

Maybe there are some more ideas:

http://serverfault.com/questions/231073/linux-equivalent-for-windows-shadow-copies -

Gilberto Ferreira
+55 (47) 9676-7530