[PVE-User] HDD errors in VMs

Michael Rasmussen mir at miras.org
Thu Jan 7 14:56:53 CET 2016

On Thu, 7 Jan 2016 14:33:41 +0100
Michael Pöllinger <m.poellinger at wds-tech.de> wrote:

> I´ve spoken with a friend some minutes ago and he mentioned an idea
> about filesystems.
> Could it be that there is a bug / problem with ext4 and kvm?
>
> All other VMs, which are still running fine, are on ext3.
>
> Has anyone running ext4 running stable in the VMs?

I never used anything else but ext4 in my Linux VMs. I have other VMs
with other file systems (OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and Solaris).

First a question: Is the file system hosting the VM disks also using
ext4? And is the disk connected through a raid controller? Are the
disks connected through a SAS backplane, and if so do you use SATA
disks instead of SAS disks in this backplane?

Ideas for further inquiry is testing various combinations of host file
system cache configuration and VM file system cache configuration as
well as the used cache configuration in Proxmox.

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
/usr/games/fortune -es says:
Will your long-winded speeches never end?
What ails you that you keep on arguing?
		-- Job 16:3