[PVE-User] HDD errors in VMs

Michael Pöllinger m.poellinger at wds-tech.de
Thu Jan 7 15:48:08 CET 2016

> First a question: Is the file system hosting the VM disks also using ext4?
We are talking about two different nodes now, due to the test of running the vm on a proxmox 4.1 also.
All nodes are installed with the iso installer, so:

Node 1 (latest 3.4. proxmox):
/dev/pve/root / ext3
/dev/pve/data /var/lib/vz ext3

Node 2 (latest 4.1 proxmox):
/dev/pve/root / ext4
/dev/pve/data /var/lib/vz ext4

> And is the disk connected through a raid controller?
Both nodes with same raid-controller: Adaptec 5405Z with ZMCP-Module

Node 1: Raid 1 over 2 HDN724030AL
Node 2: Raid 5 over 4 ST31000424SS

> Are the disks connected through a SAS backplane, and if so do you use SATA disks instead of SAS disks in this backplane?
All systems are on SAS basis.
The disks are with SAS backplanes.

> Ideas for further inquiry is testing various combinations of host file
> system cache configuration and VM file system cache configuration as
> well as the used cache configuration in Proxmox.
Thats what we´ve already started with (proxmox configs)
We switched the VMs-Configs from IDE to virtIO with LSI setting

On IDE the errors where:
[So Dez 27 05:17:44 2015] ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6 frozen

On virtIO:
task xxx blocked for more than 120 seconds.

Only for info i can only repeat that this problems occour only on new VMs we´ve isntalled on debian 8.x with ext4.
Older Systems with ext3 run and run and run without any errors.

So i guess no hardware errors, cause there should be any error information or different behave in those VMs

@All: I´m really deeply grateful that you all listen and try to help me with this.

kind regards
Michael