[PVE-User] PVE 3.4 to 4.1 upgrade terror history

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Mon Jan 11 10:08:22 CET 2016

Hi all,

This is a failed upgrade report from last friday.

We have a 4-node Proxmox cluster, with 3 of them running ceph MON and 3
osd daemons each. All nodes are updated last PVE 3.4 :

node1: vms + ceph mon + 3xceph osd
node2: vms + ceph mon + 3xceph osd
node3: vms + ceph mon + 3xceph osd
node4: vms (actually 0 right now) + vzdumps (nfs)

To upgrade node2, we first moved all VMs running on "node2" to node1 &
node3, then followed the wiki upgrade guide:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_3.x_to_4.0

All was going quite well. We installed pve-kernel-4.2.2-1-pve and not
the last available, which I think was the mistake.

The problem was that after "apt-get dist-upgrade" the server won't boot
- it just kernel panic-ed. We tried booting with a PVE 3.4 kernel but
the new userland (systemd) wasn't able to boot.

We tried various things (even installing the latest PVE kernel .deb with
debian 8 rescue pendrives) but weren't able to fix it, so finally had to
resinstall the server from scratch with the PVE 4.1 ISO.

Reinstalling with ISO was successful and we have even recovered the ceph
OSD on that node.

This node2 server is a Dell T610, do you think the 4.2.2-1 kernel was
faulty for this server? Maybe updating the wiki with the last PVE 4.1
kernel could help others?

Maybe it could be a good idea to also install the debian 8 kernel, so
that there is another option to boot in case the PVE kernel doesn't work?

Cheers
Eneko

--
Zuzendari Teknikoa / Director Técnico