[PVE-User] HA question

Kevin Lemonnier lemonnierk at ulrar.net
Wed Oct 5 17:13:33 CEST 2016

> Our reason for this is that a HA enabled service should be *cleanly* shutdown.
> Stopping a VM is like pulling the power cord out, which can be bad :)
> We can re evaluate that. For us HA managed service are thought for service
> which have to run and do that always.
> "Killing" them often seems not very highly available, gracefully shutting them
> down for maintenance or such things seems more correct, or am I missing
> something here?

I get the reasonning, but when I click on "Stop" it's usually on purpose :)
I know I'm pulling the virtual cord out, if I use that button it's because
the machine is in a state requering that (failing to boot for example, or
kernel panic, something like that).

It shouldn't be something usual, but unfortunatly at least for us the only
time we actually use the GUI is to install new VMs or repair a broken one,
and for that you need to restart it, tweak the hardware ..

Could you maybe have the Stop button work as expected, but "hide" it in a menu
or something for HA enabled VMs ? That would be fine. Or just put a warning
on the confirmation box maybe ?

--
Kevin Lemonnier
PGP Fingerprint : 89A5 2283 04A0 E6E9 0111