[PVE-User] LV Not Available - could not open disk - no such file or directory

John Crisp jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk
Fri Sep 2 13:22:57 CEST 2016

On 02/09/16 07:55, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
>> I still think that for at least single server installs lvm-thin is not
>> necessarily the best default option, and there should possibly be more
>> warning for some to RTFM before hitting go for a default install.
>
> I do not really think this is related to lvmthin. Seems your data
> is simply damaged (for whatever reason), so would you have the same problems
> with zfs, ext4, or any other file system.

I accept after my investigations in this case you are right.

However, it still doesn't change my thoughts on lvm-thin not being a
good default choice as per my previous comments which you seem to have
not answered.

As I said

"The problem is if the lvm-thin takes up ALL your available space you
cannot backup to 'local' (easily accessible) storage, even if you wanted
to with said VM running.

And a snapshot on the lvm-thin partition would be inaccessible and you
would be in the same place.

So no access to VMs, and no access snapshots, and not enough space to
store 'local' backups, even though there is an option to do so.

In other words if you have an issue with the lvm-thin volume you have
serious issues that are not very easy to resolve.

With the old style layout if you had a an issue with a VM you could at
least access it as a file, move it, copy it, test it etc. With lvm-thin
if you have an issue the VMs are no longer easily accessible.

Is there no way to have a choice on install rather than being forced
into a system that perhaps the user does not want ?

I can see in the Wiki that you can remove it and revert to the older
layout but that seems a very messy way to do things ?

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Installation#Optional:_Reverting_Thin-LVM_to_.22old.22_Behavior_of_.2Fvar.2Flib.2Fvz_.28Proxmox_4.2_and_later.29

It also makes moving VMs from older system to a newer 4.x system much
more difficult - you can't just transfer the VM file and a conf and
start it again, so it isn't necessarily for everyone.

B. Rgds
John