[PVE-User] LV Not Available - could not open disk - no such file or directory

John Crisp jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk
Fri Sep 2 14:28:53 CEST 2016

On 02/09/16 13:35, Daniel wrote:

>> "The problem is if the lvm-thin takes up ALL your available space you
>> cannot backup to 'local' (easily accessible) storage, even if you wanted
>> to with said VM running.
>>

> Who wants to make Backups to the local Device? It make no sense at all.
> For Backups you have to chose a attached Storage-System. Only a Backup-Storage make sense.

Makes no sense to have it as option in that case :-)

But I take your point. However.....

There are potential reasons to have it as an option. Personally I have a
couple of VMs where I can't run a backup direct to a sensible offsite
location directly so the system does a backup to local, and then a
couple of separate machines rsync stuff to different offsites at their
leisure.

We are all different......

> I think you will never be able to access Snapshots - Also Vmware doesnt support that (i guess)

OK - not a issue per se.

>> Is there no way to have a choice on install rather than being forced
>> into a system that perhaps the user does not want ?
>>

> I am not completely sure but at the install you can choose which FS you prefer.

Believe you can apparently choose the FS e.g. ext3/ext4/zfs or whatever
for a volume but not to enable/disable lvm-thin. At least if it is there
is it isn't obvious.

Sometimes being forced to accept a 'new way' immediately is not always
so good...... and lvm-thin is a major change to a core part of the
system and has some potentially major gotchas. It may be a must have for
some. But that doesn't mean it is a requirement for all.

Just my 2c worth.

B. Rgds
John