[PVE-User] One cluster at two sites with an even number of nodes

Kevin Lemonnier lemonnierk at ulrar.net
Mon Jan 30 19:50:29 CET 2017

> In case of a split between the datacenters, none of both sites would have a
> quorum and HA would not work. I could fiddle with the number of votes on
> one site, but then HA would only work on one site if there is a connection
> loss.

Yeah, you can't do it. That's just a recipe for disaster for that exact reason,
no side has a way to know if it should be taking over. If you need to be able
to have either side take over, just don't do HA and have an admin choose where
to boot the VMs (you can have a cluster without HA to make that easy).

Alternativly you can use a node in a third location to help the "good" side, if any,
get a quorum. Something like a VM somewhere would be enough, it doesn't have to
actually be able to run VMs.

--
Kevin Lemonnier
PGP Fingerprint : 89A5 2283 04A0 E6E9 0111