[PVE-User] Custom storage in ProxMox 5

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Wed Apr 4 09:50:42 CEST 2018

Hi,

El 30/03/18 a las 05:05, Lindsay Mathieson escribió:
> Ceph has rather larger overheads, much bigger PITA to admin, does not perform as well on whitebox hardware – in fact the Ceph crowd std reply to issues is to spend big on enterprise hardware and is far less flexible.
Nonsense. We  use whiteboxes, desktop HDD, no RAID cards, etc. with
Ceph/Proxmox and works really well. Effort to maintain it is... near
zero. Effort to deploy just 15 minutes, thanks to Proxmox integration.

> Can Ceph run multiple replication and ec levels for different files on the same volume? Can you change goal settings on the fly? Near instantaneous spanshots and restores at any level of the filesystem you choose? Run on commodity hardware with trivial adding of disks as required?
You don't do files on Ceph, you just do volumes (vdisks). Ceph is not a
filesystem (although has a filesystem - CephFS). We use commodity
hardware and add disks trivially.

I don't say Ceph may be for every use cases; but don't talk lightly
about something you don't know.

Cheers
Eneko