[PVE-User] Feedback on 4.x to 5.x upgrade documentation

Mark Schouten mark at tuxis.nl
Mon Jan 29 17:02:51 CET 2018

Hi,

today I upgraded a 4.x cluster with Hammer (Ceph) to 5.1. I had almost no
issues thanks to documentation and quality software.

I first upgraded Hammer to the latest hammer (older pveceph versions installed
a static apt-repo to gitbuilder stuff) and restarted all mons, and then osds.

Then I started the upgrade to Jewel, of which the documentation suggests you
should do it per node. Which is different from what Ceph says; it suggests to
do it per service (Mon, OSD). I think the reason to do it per host is that
there is some chown'ing involved [1]. However, there is an easier (and imho
less scary) way. [2] tells about an option to make the Ceph daemon test
permissions and not drop privileges if it shouldn't. This allows for a default
upgrade, after which you can stop and chown per OSD/mon, instead of per host.

The upgrade to Luminous was without any issues.

Then, upgrading to PVE 5.x, I ran into an issue which it seems is caused by
KRBD. I was unable to migrate the hosts with KRBD enabled. I don't know why,
and unfortunatly I cannot test it anymore (it was a production cluster so I
had to keep going). But maybe this is something that can be debugged by
someone in a lab or something. :)

Thanks for this good stuff!

[1]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Ceph_Hammer_to_Jewel#Set_permission
[2]: http://docs.ceph.com/docs/jewel/release-notes/?#upgrading-from-hammer
--
Kerio Operator in de Cloud? https://www.kerioindecloud.nl/
Mark Schouten  | Tuxis Internet Engineering
T: 0318 200208 | info at tuxis.nl