[PVE-User] migrate *just* config of VM between unclustered PVE servers?

Alexis Huxley alexishuxley at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 19:23:42 CET 2018

I'm currently using KVM and libvirt with two *unclustered* servers and
shared storage [*], but am considering migrating to Proxmox because
I want to switch to lighter weight containers.

At the moment, with libvirt, on the first server I create a VM and
run 'virsh dumpxml <vmname>', copy the resulting XML over to the
second server (or write it to the shared storage) and run 'virsh
define <xmlfile>' and then the VM is available on both servers.
I then manually start the VM on one server only.

What is the equivalent procedure for Proxmox? (Ideally a procedure
that works for both KVM-based VMs and containers.)

I was hoping that vzdump might have a '--config-only' option and
that there would be a 'vzload' command, but I don't find either
of these things. Googling turns up plenty of results for migrating
the entire VM, but I really want *only* the config, not the image /
container tree.

If it's as simple as rsyncing over some directories, then is it then
necessary to 'nudge' the GUI, to get it to notice the changes?

Thanks!

Alexis

[*] The shared storage is DRBD running in primary/primary mode with
    OCFS2 filesystem on top. It's obviously not immune to split brain,
    but recovery is straightforward and very rare. It's been quite
    suitable for home, but IO is relatively slow.