[PVE-User] Interfaces startup and ip-up.d scripts...

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Fri May 18 17:23:10 CEST 2018

Mandi! Josh Knight
  In chel di` si favelave...

> Interesting, I couldn't reproduce the problem on my server.

I'm not a very large user case: i've many PVE system, but they are 4.4
and not ''firewalled'', this is a 5.2 and a case ''per se''...

> I set
> verbose=yes, I created a test script that simply did echo $IFACE and after
> 3 reboots it seems to execute each time. After boot I just did  journalctl
> -b | grep ifup  and I was able to see the interface names printed.

Boh...

> in journalctl -b, are you seeing anything related to run-parts? Or does
> ifup not print anything at all?

In a ''falied'' boot i can se the logs for interfaces 'lo' and '--all'
(why '--all'?). Logs report, for every interface:
	/bin/ip link set dev <iface> up
and then the run of the 'run-parts':
	run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/0sysctl
and the the single runs of the scripts:
	run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/bridgevlan

In a good boot, i can se the logs for interfaces 'lo', 'vmbr0', 'vmbr1'
and '--all''. Same logs.

> Is your firewall script using anything interface specific?  If you put it
> in that directory, it will be executed for each interface.

My script are parametrizied, and get runned only on particular
interfaces.

> I'm curious if
> you add a post-up line to your /etc/network/interfaces file, it would be
> called only once when your mgt interface comes up.

I was short on time, and so i was forced to put that server
in production, in a non too easy reachable place.

So, now i cannot play with networking. ;-)