[PVE-User] Quick question regarding node removal

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Tue Nov 6 14:50:02 CET 2018

Hi,

On 11/6/18 12:56 PM, Uwe Sauter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in the documentation to pvecm [1] it says:
>

> At this point you must power off hp4 and make sure that it will not power on again (in the network) as it is.
> Important:
> As said above, it is critical to power off the node before removal, and make sure that it will never power on again (in the
> existing cluster network) as it is. If you power on the node as it is, your cluster will be screwed up and it could be difficult
> to restore a clean cluster state.
>

> Am I right to assume that this is due to the configuration on the node which is to be removed? If I reinstall that node I can
> reuse hostname and IP addresses?

Yes, exactly. It's more for the reason that the removed node still thinks
that it is part of the cluster and has still access to the cluster
communication (through the '/etc/corosync/authkey').

So re-installing works fine.

You could also separate it without re-installing, see:
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvecm.html#pvecm_separate_node_without_reinstall

Here I recommend that you test this first (if the target is anything
production related) - e.g. in a virtual PVE cluster (PVE in VMs).

cheers,
Thomas