[PVE-User] OVS Internal ports all in state unknown

dORSY dorsyka at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 17:26:13 CEST 2018

this is not proxmox relatedthose are not phisical ifs so there is no link up or down on them

  On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 16:42, Brian Sidebotham<brian at wanless.systems> wrote:   Hi Guys,

We are using Openvswitch networking and we have a physical 1G management
network and two 10G physical links bonded. The physical interfaces show a
state of UP when doing "ip a".

However for the OVS bond, bridges and internal ports we get a state of"
UNKNOWN". Is this expected?

Everything else is essentially working OK - The GUI marks the bond, bridge
and internal ports as active and traffic is working as expected, but I
don't know why the state of these is not UP?

An example of an internal port OVS Configuration in /etc/network/interfaces
(as setup by the GUI):

allow-vmbr1 vlan233
iface vlan233 inet static
address  10.1.33.24
netmask  255.255.255.0
ovs_type OVSIntPort
ovs_bridge vmbr1
ovs_options tag=233

and ip a output:

14: vlan233: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state
*UNKNOWN* group default qlen 1000
    link/ether e2:53:9f:28:cb:2b brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 10.1.33.24/24 brd 10.1.33.255 scope global vlan233
      valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 fe80::e053:9fff:fe28:cb2b/64 scope link
      valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

The version we're running is detailed below. We rolled back the kernel as
we were having stability problems with 4.15.8 on our hardware (HP Proliant
Gen8)

root@ :/etc/network# pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 5.2-2 (running kernel: 4.13.16-2-pve)
pve-manager: 5.2-7 (running version: 5.2-7/8d88e66a)
pve-kernel-4.15: 5.2-5
pve-kernel-4.15.18-2-pve: 4.15.18-20
pve-kernel-4.13.16-2-pve: 4.13.16-48
pve-kernel-4.13.13-2-pve: 4.13.13-33
ceph: 12.2.7-pve1
corosync: 2.4.2-pve5
criu: 2.11.1-1~bpo90
glusterfs-client: 3.8.8-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.2-2
libjs-extjs: 6.0.1-2
libpve-access-control: 5.0-8
libpve-apiclient-perl: 2.0-5
libpve-common-perl: 5.0-38
libpve-guest-common-perl: 2.0-17
libpve-http-server-perl: 2.0-10
libpve-storage-perl: 5.0-24
libqb0: 1.0.1-1
lvm2: 2.02.168-pve6
lxc-pve: 3.0.2+pve1-1
lxcfs: 3.0.0-1
novnc-pve: 1.0.0-2
openvswitch-switch: 2.7.0-3
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 1.0-19
pve-cluster: 5.0-29
pve-container: 2.0-25
pve-docs: 5.2-8
pve-firewall: 3.0-13
pve-firmware: 2.0-5
pve-ha-manager: 2.0-5
pve-i18n: 1.0-6
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.8-3
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.11.2-1
pve-xtermjs: 1.0-5
qemu-server: 5.0-32
smartmontools: 6.5+svn4324-1
spiceterm: 3.0-5
vncterm: 1.5-3
zfsutils-linux: 0.7.9-pve1~bpo9

-----------
Brian Sidebotham

Wanless Systems Limited
e: brian at wanless.systems
m:+44 7739 359 883
o: +44 330 223 3595
<https://10.0.30.30:5001/webclient/#/call?phone=3302233595>

The information in this email is confidential and solely for the use of the
intended recipient(s). If you receive this email in error, please notify
the sender and delete the email from your system immediately. In such
circumstances, you must not make any use of the email or its contents.

Views expressed by an individual in this email do not necessarily reflect
the views of Wanless Systems Limited.

Computer viruses may be transmitted by email. Wanless Systems Limited
email. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.
It is possible that information may be intercepted, corrupted, lost,
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender does
not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this
message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

Please note that all calls are recorded for monitoring and quality purposes.

Wanless Systems Limited.
Registered office: Wanless Systems Limited, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 0UN.
Registered in England.
Registered number: 6901359
<https://10.0.30.30:5001/webclient/#/call?phone=6901359>.