[PVE-User] OVS Internal ports all in state unknown

Josh Knight josh at noobbox.com
Fri Sep 14 20:06:41 CEST 2018

This looks to be expected. The operational state is provided by the
kernel/driver for the interface.  For these virtual interfaces, it's just
not being reported, probably because they can't actually go down.  This is
common and not specific to proxmox. The openvswitch and tun drivers must
not be reporting an operational state for the devices.

I believe you can use `ovs-vsctl list Interface` or a similar command if
you need to get the admin_state or link_state fields for the virtual
interfaces.

E.g. from my proxmox host I also see the same behavior.

root at host:~# ip link show eno1
2: eno1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master
ovs-system state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
root at host:~# cat /sys/class/net/eno1/operstate
up
root at host:~# ethtool -i eno1 | grep driver
driver: tg3

root at host:~# ip link show tap107i2
155: tap107i2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,PROMISC,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc
pfifo_fast master ovs-system state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen
1000
root at host:~# cat /sys/class/net/tap107i2/operstate
unknown
root at host:~# ethtool -i tap107i2 | grep driver
driver: tun

root at host:~# ip link show bond0
23: bond0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state
UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
root at host:~# cat /sys/class/net/bond0/operstate
unknown
root at host:~# ethtool -i bond0 | grep driver
driver: openvswitch