[PVE-User] IOMMU and Interrupt Remapping

Dominik Csapak d.csapak at proxmox.com
Fri Mar 8 08:26:18 CET 2019

On 08/03/2019 03:43, Craig Jones wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to gauge if I should use Proxmox on an Intel-based or AMD-based system. A major factor that's contributing to this is IOMMU support, but more specifically, Interrupt Remapping support.
>
> Based on this<https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough> article, it seems that both AMD and Intel support IOMMU, but Interrupt Remapping is not as widely supported. I thought IOMMU and Interrupt Remapping always went hand-in-hand. Is this not the case? Does Proxmox have better Interrupt Remapping support for one type of system over the other?

The article is at this point very old and ought to be updated.
For more concise and current information the reference documentation[0]
is a better start

in any case, i have successfully used pci passthrough/iommu with both
intel (>= haswell) and current amd systems (ryzen,epyc), so it
depends on the specific hardware (mostly mainboard)

hope that helps
Dominik

0: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-qm.html#qm_pci_passthrough