[PVE-User] How to get rid of default thin-provisioned default LV "data"?

Frank Thommen f.thommen at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Thu Jan 16 19:26:11 CET 2020

Dear all,

when installing PVE on our servers with 1 TB boot disk, the installer
creates regular /root and swap LVs (ca. 100 GB in total) and the rest of
the disk (800 GB) is used for a thin-provisioned LV named "data".
Personally I don't like thin-provisioning and would like to get rid of
it and have a "regular" LV instead.  However I couldn't find a way to
achieve this through the gui (PVE 6.1-3).

Did I miss some gui functionality or is it ok to remove the LV with
regular lvm commands?  Will I break something if I remove it?  No
VM/container has been installed so far.  The hypervisors are freshly
installed and they contain additional several internal disks which we
plan to use for local storage/Ceph.

Cheers
frank