[PVE-User] PVE 7.2 - Avago MegaRAID broken?

Stoiko Ivanov s.ivanov at proxmox.com
Thu May 19 18:31:38 CEST 2022

Hi,

On Thu, 19 May 2022 16:57:44 +0200
Eneko Lacunza via pve-user <pve-user at lists.proxmox.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Today we installed PVE 7.1 (ISO) in a relatively old machine.
any more details on what kind of machine this is
(CPU generation, if it's an older HP/Dell/Supermicro server or
consumerhardware)?

> Kernel will print lots of messages like
>
> "DMAR: DRHD: handling fault status reg 3"
> "DMAR: [DMA Read NO_PASID] Request device [02:00.0] fault ???? 4b311000
> [fault reason 0x06] PTE Readaccess is not set.
could you please try (in that order, and until one the suggestions fixes
the issue):
* adding `iommu=pt` to the kernel cmdline
* adding `intel_iommu=off` to the kernel cmdline
we have updated the known-issues section of the release-notes to suggest
this already after a few similar reports with older hardware/unusual
setups in our community forum:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap#7.2-known-issues

see
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#sysboot_edit_kernel_cmdline
for instruction on how to edit the cmdline.

> This is worked-around now, but I'm starting to worry about latest 5.15
> kernel in PVE... :-)

I think we have similar reports with each new kernel-series - mostly with
older systems, which need to install a small workaround (usually module
parameter or kernel cmdline switch).
Our tests on many machines in our testlab (covering the past 10 years of
hardware more or less well) all did not show any general issues - but
it's sadly always a hit and miss.

Please let us know if the changes help

Kind regards,
stoiko