[PVE-User] openvz and java - Working?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Aug 9 15:03:18 CEST 2010

Rudiger Wolf <Rudiger.Wolf at ThroughputFocus.com> writes:
> On 09/08/10 11:00, pve-user-request at pve.proxmox.com wrote:
>
>> and no: we have plenty of Java working just fine in OpenVZ containers, both
>> stand-alone and under Proxmox.
>>
>> The main thing to be cautious of is that Java will default to allocating some
>> memory related parameters based on the amount of physical memory it sees in
>> the system; you may need to tune that.
>>
>> However, generally they work OOTB on Proxmox, which does a fine job of
>> presenting a realistic view to the JVM.
>>
>> For performance I would generally avoid allocating too much swap space to a
>> JVM container, though, since you are better delegating memory trimming to the
>> JVM itself as much as possible.
>
> I want to install Alfresco based in an OpenVZ VM based on the following
> recipe.  Do you think that will be sufficient if I allocate 1GB RAM to the
> OpenVZ VM?

We have 1GB allocated to our smallest container which also runs a Java
application, albeit not Alfresco, and it worked fine on Lenny/amd64, with Sun
Java 6 underneath.

Anyway, yeah, that is the sort of tuning I was talking about. :)

Er, I don't actually know, but you might need to use a veth device rather
than a venet device for the Alfresco SMB share thing to work.  If that is the
document management thingy which does SMB/CIFS sharing, that is. :)

        Daniel