[PVE-User] What effect would changing the motherboard have on Proxmox?

Bruce B bruceb444 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 17:53:16 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

I understand this might be more of a Debian forum question but the
application in question is indeed Proxmox and I am hoping I get some expert
advise from here.

I have Supermicro server which I want to replace the board for a different
version. I am not sure how different the other board is in terms of it's
chipset but I do not that the Intel NIC chipset is different a bit. So,
might the graphic card chipset. However, I am keeping the same CPU, and RAM
chips. I am in fact transferring CPU and RAM onto the new board. The new
board also support Raid in mirror configuration which was what I chose to do
on the other server which supported 3x SATA but I had only 2x HDDs and I
think proxmox set them in RAID 1 mirror configuration anyhow.

So, if I take out the HDDs and attach to the new board, should I expect
Proxmox to come up fine and all the KVMs and VMs to run smoothly after it
finds the new board?

Thanks,
Bruce