[PVE-User] What effect would changing the motherboard have on Proxmox?

Felix Krohn felix.krohn at ovh.net
Wed May 18 10:34:21 CEST 2011

* Bruce B <bruceb444 at gmail.com> [2011-05-17 17:54]:
>    So, if I take out the HDDs and attach to the new board, should I expect
>    Proxmox to come up fine and all the KVMs and VMs to run smoothly after it
>    finds the new board?

In my experience yes, although udev might rename your network
interfaces, thus breaking vmbridge connectivity.
Cleaning up /etc/udev/rules.d/*persistent-net.rules (removing the lines
with the old MAC address) should be enough to fix or prevent this (be
careful, this line will be re-created during boot-up)

About the raid thing: don't use fakeraid :)

As Martin says, real hardware RAID is the best option, but that doesn't
mean that regular Linux SoftRaid (mdadm) won't work - it does work, but
isn't supported officially.

Best regards,
Felix