[PVE-User] Kernel Panic with usb port mapping

Brian Hart brianhart at ou.edu
Tue May 5 22:24:29 CEST 2015

Hello!

We updated an older install of proxmox over the weekend from 3.1 up to
3.4.  A VM that we have that uses a couple of USB devices (following this
documentation: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/USB_physical_port_mapping) will
no longer startup.  When we try to start this VM with the USB parameters in
the VMs config file it causes a kernel panic and locks up the hardware.
This is a Dell server with a DRAC controller as well and when this happens
it also some how kills the DRAC to where we can't even access the server.
It eventually reboots on its own and comes back to life.

Has something changed with the USB support in the newer versions?  Is that
documentation obsolete and maybe a new method of doing this?  Or is this a
bug that was introduced in a newer version?

Thanks,
Brian